firefox3: where are hidden the plugins settings?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 2 18:09:19 UTC 2008

On 10/02/2008 02:46 AM, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> hi,
> I want to view a conference which is broadcast via rtsp.
> If a make a realplay call, that works perfectly, but I'm unable
> to convince firefox to use realplayer:
> On 1 machine, it opens a totem plugin, on another one, it opens the
> mplayer plugin, and none of them works.
> What drives me crazy is that it's totally independant of any user's
> configuration: I get the same thing if I remove the .mozilla directory!
> It doesn't come either from mozplugger: same results if I remove
> /etc/mozpluggerc.
> I  also checked that it doesn't come from mailcap/mime.types.
>
> So,  where are hidden these damned plugins settings?

In Fx3 enter the following in the url bar:

about:plugins | Enter

That will show you each plugin that is installed. Now to fine the Totem
plugin (for instance) you'll see that the file name is
'libtotem-basic-plugin.so' so open a terminal and do:

locate libtotem-basic-plugin.so

That will show you where the actual plugin is located.

If you are using a combination mplayer/realplayer:
RealPlayer 9

    File name: mplayerplug-in-rm.so

you are likely to find it in 3 places:
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/mplayerplug-in-rm.so
/usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins/mplayerplug-in-rm.so
and a mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt in ~/,mozilla/plugins if you have a plugins
folder in your profile directory.

If you are looking for where Fx3 (Ubuntu version) gets all of it's
default preinstalled plugins from, look in
/usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins.