New system for ubuntu - recommended display hardware?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Oct 2 16:11:24 UTC 2008

Chris G wrote:
> What are the 'easiest' display chips to use nowadays?  My current
> system has an Nvidia card which is fairly well supported but has
> caused me a few hiccoughs.  Is the Nvidia as easy as it gets or is
> there anything better?
>
> I'm not after amazing performance, I've no need to play games or
> anything, but I do run a big[gish] display at 1600x1200 and I do want
> to run Vmware or Virtualbox.

If you want to avoid the problems with proprietary drivers, look for Intel
chips. Those aren't necessarily very high performance, but they are well
supported by open source drivers. ATI and VIA are moving towards open
source drivers also but you will probably have to wait some more time
before their open source drivers are ready.

Nils