Software Repositories

Derek Broughton news at
Thu Oct 2 15:44:26 UTC 2008

Dustin Breese wrote:

> Here're some really basic questions.  I can't seem to find any real
> good information on my questions.
> Something that I struggle with is exactly what software repositories
> to use on Ubuntu for installing software.  Oftentimes, I find that a
> particular software package is found in Synaptic, but it is really old
> (eclipse 3.2.2, for example -- very old).
> Some questions:
> 1) How do I find repositories that have the latest versions?

Mostly you don't.  Some applications make their latest versions available
via a debian/ubuntu package, but for the most part you'll be well behind
the leading edge.

> Is there
> a list of all available repositories some where?

It's called google :-)  Seriously, there's no way to tell you where all the
latest versions of the software you want can be found.

And, fwiw, I run eclipse (gannymede) from the Eclipse site.  It's not worth
the hassle of trying to deal with the old package, and there's no upgrade
path anyway.