WPA and All Other Connections Fail After Upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 29 15:01:34 UTC 2008

On 11/27/2008 08:50 PM, Rick Bilonick wrote:
[snip]

> I add the exception and then I can connect. Never had to do this with
> 8.04. So far I have not found a way to get the WPA connection to work.
> I'm using the same user id and password and all the other security
> settings are the same (I'm using them on other laptops and they still
> work exactly as before).
>
> When trying to connect using WPA:
>
> +++++++++++++++++
>
> ** (nm-applet:6448): WARNING **: <WARN>
> applet_menu_item_activate_helper(): Invalid connection; asking for more
> information.
>
> WIRELESS-PITTNET
>
> ** (nm-applet:6448): WARNING **: Invalid connection: 'NMSetting8021x' /
> 'identity' invalid: 2
>

> ** (nm-applet:6448): WARNING **: <WARN>
> applet_menu_item_activate_helper(): Invalid connection; asking for more
> information.
>
> +++++++++++++++++
>
> Any ideas on how to get this working under 8.10?

Maybe:

<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2BNMSetting8021x&btnG=Search>

These look related:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/290285
[ Grayed out "Connect" button when using WPA2 Entreprise+TLS authentication]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/245184
[NM-0.7] nm-connection-editor fails to set/read certificates settings]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-applet/+bug/291242
and probably many more.

You might want to uninstall network manager and install wicd instead
just to see if all works that way. I also have a bcm43xx device (Dynex
pcmcia card), and while I was able to get my wpa2 working with NM, I was
unable to manage fixed IP's. So I switched to wicd and haven't looked
back (yet :-).

http://apt.wicd.net/dists/intrepid/extras/
  http://apt.wicd.net/pool/intrepid/extras/wicd_1.5.3_all.deb

or

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
and replace
deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras
with
deb http://apt.wicd.net intrepid extras

If that doesn't work out you can always uninstall and then reinstall NM.