upgrading Gutsy to Hardy, remotely .... advice and precautions?

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 05:42:45 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:

> Actually a good question.
>
> Shouldn't be a problem. However, you'll lose him when the system
> reboots. I recommend trying it on a local test system first; if you
> don't have one, I do and can it a try tonight or tomorrow if you'd like.

It would be nice ... but I wouldn't want to trouble you with all this
hassle. However, if you have time to try it out, it would be great.

What I am expecting is this:
- pop in the laternate CD while the user is logged in and is in adm
group (admin privileges)
- start the upgrade using the steps in the URL I mentioned earlier
- the upgrade should proceed with some possible package removals. Need
to jot this down in a text file - remote desktop is running so I can do
that.
- At the end, a reboot will be required. The PC has a fixed IP address
in his home. The DSL connection is made by his modem. So the reboot
should not be a problem. The PC is going to get the same address and it
doesn't mess with the ADSL connection.
- Then talk him to setup the remote desktop again in case it does not
function.
- Then install the packages that were earlier removed and update the system.

Thanks.

> Note: I upgraded my son's Gutsy to Hardy 3 weeks ago & all went just
> fine - easiest upgrade I've done yet. However I did it during a visit to
> his home.

Nice to know. But being present there is definitely a big plus :)

Thanks.

ever having been read.