upgrading Gutsy to Hardy, remotely .... advice and precautions?

Jeffrey Tooker Jeffreytooker at frontiernet.net
Fri Nov 28 22:50:14 UTC 2008

H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am in a situation where I am helping a friend (who is /not/ computer
> literate) to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy.
>
> My plan of action is:
> 1. Help him burn Hardy ISO image to a disk (i386 Alternate CD). He is
> downloading it as I write this.
> 2. While the user is logged in, ask him to insert the alternate CD in
> the drive and start the upgrade using the steps given here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardyUpgrades#Upgrading%20Using%20the%20Alternate%20CD/DVD
> (BTW, does the user need to be in adm group? )
> 3. Let the upgrade proceed while I watch via vncviewer.
>
> Does this sound doable?
>
> If somebody has used the alternate CD to upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy,
> anything I need to keep an eye out for? Any quirks that you faced? I ask
> this while keeping in mind that I may need to walk him through some
> after the fact problem solving steps over the phone if he does not get
> his network connection up for any reason.
>
> Thanks in advance

I upgraded from 7.10 Gutsy to 8.04 Hardy yesterday. I had been having
problems with 7.10 update downloads. I remembered that the edition i.e.
7.10 is only supported for a year after it hits the street so I just
went to 8.04. I downloaded it from the 7.10 update screen where it has a
button for 8.04 upgrade. All worked fine It took about three hours for
download, and a couple for install. I had only one entry which I had to
make the program did the rest. No fuss.

Jeffrey Tooker