fluxbox

Donny George donny008 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 22:46:14 UTC 2008

i installed an ubuntu

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> Donny George wrote:
> > Recently i installed an ubuntu system with fluxbox to reduce system
> > load, though i like the idea of light weight gui i am having a tough
> > time with it. Could someone guide me to a thread or link by which i can
> > do some basic operations like open a mozilla, as i dont know how to do
> > it
>
> Can you tell us how you installed that system? Did you use a Fluxbuntu CD
> for the installation?
>
> > the error that i get when i type startx is
> >
> > startx
> >
> > X: warning; process set to priority -1 instead of requested priority 0
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > Server is already active for display 0
> >     If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
> >     and start again.
> >
> > Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keygiving up.
> > xinit:  Interrupted system call (errno 4):  unable to connect to X
> > server xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
>
> While I never used fluxbox I would expect the desktop to be started
> automatically after startup without the startx command. And from the
> error message I would expect that there is a X server running already.
> You can check it with the command
>
> ps ax|grep X
>
> If you see /usr/bin/X running, try to switch to the desktop with
> CTRL-ALT-F7. If you are still at the command line you can't start
> programs like mozilla because those programs should be started from the
> desktop not from the command line.
>

> Nils

-- i installed an ubuntu 8.04 server edition and installed fluxbox from the
command line. the fluxbox functions perfectly well. i have issues with
displays other applications like mozilla which i have already installed and
when i try to open it frmo command line it says
Error: no display specified

this is where i face problem , any guidelines ?

Donny George