fluxbox

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Nov 28 20:25:40 UTC 2008

Donny George wrote:
> Recently i installed an ubuntu system with fluxbox to reduce system
> load, though i like the idea of light weight gui i am having a tough
> time with it. Could someone guide me to a thread or link by which i can
> do some basic operations like open a mozilla, as i dont know how to do
> it

Can you tell us how you installed that system? Did you use a Fluxbuntu CD
for the installation?

> the error that i get when i type startx is
>
> startx
>
> X: warning; process set to priority -1 instead of requested priority 0
>
> Fatal server error:
> Server is already active for display 0
>     If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
>     and start again.
>
> Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keygiving up.
> xinit:  Interrupted system call (errno 4):  unable to connect to X
> server xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

While I never used fluxbox I would expect the desktop to be started
automatically after startup without the startx command. And from the
error message I would expect that there is a X server running already.
You can check it with the command

ps ax|grep X

If you see /usr/bin/X running, try to switch to the desktop with
CTRL-ALT-F7. If you are still at the command line you can't start
programs like mozilla because those programs should be started from the
desktop not from the command line.

Nils