What does seahorse do?

Erik Christiansen dvalin at internode.on.net
Fri Nov 28 05:33:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 11:43:58AM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 10:26:28PM +1100, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > However, if it doesn't mean much to you, there's no harm in closing the
> > window, and pretending it never popped up.
> >
> What a patronising load of gits you are sometimes!  (Not just you
> Erik, the rest of the replies are no better)

Thanks. Lots. :-)

> Look, I've been a software developer since 1971 or so, I'm MBCS and
> have *earned* my C.Eng. status by showing work I have done over the
> years.  I started using Unix (on a Tektronix development system) some
> time in the early 1980s.  I've been using Unix/Linux sort of systems
> on my home computers since around 1990.

The places and projects differ, but the dates are similar (1978) in my
case.

> OK, I'm maybe a bit stuck in the habit of using command line for
> everything

I'll even risk one step further: It seems more pleasant and profitable
to build and maintain an understanding of underlying services, and the
convenience and power of the CLI, rather than settle for being an
underinformed consumer of sombody elses ephemeral GUI confection.

> but saying "if it doesn't mean much to you, there's no harm
> in closing the window, and pretending it never popped up" isn't very
> likely to cheer me up!

Hmm ... yes, my statement would be equally factual, but perhaps less
prone to fuelling displeasure with unwelcome changes, if phrased:

"However, for anyone to whom it doesn't mean much, there's no harm in
closing the window, and pretending it never popped up."

That would be my initial reaction to the thing. If I ever get around to
checking GPG signatures on list posts, I will studiously avoid GUI
cruft. (Nobody "signs" private emails sent to me, so I'm not a consumer
of the technology, either.)

My ssh key management doesn't involve any GUI, and is extremely unlikely
to do so while the application lacks a manpage defining files used, and
easiest way to change plugin editor from gedit to vim.

Incidentally, $ dpkg -p seahorse
gives possibly the best precis of its attributes seen to date. (Though
12.5% of that is prolix "sales waffle" which only means "GUI" i.e.:
"Management operations can easily be carried out through an intuitive
interface."

> Rant over!  :-)

Don't get mad, get even! Wipe every GUI that isn't a web browser or a
CAD package. (My favourite is Eagle. :-)

> ... but I still want to know how/where I get my ssh key into seahorse
> and/or whether it does it by itself.

Ah, the original rant^H^H^H^Hdissertation rather obscured that enquiry. ;-)

Doesn't yours come up with:

FIRST TIME OPTIONS:
Import existing keys from a file:  [Import_clicky_thingo]
<<<

which seems to "handle files using Nautilus".

If that's not there any more, then you're up against the ephemeral
nature of GUIs, I fear.

Nil carborundum,

Erik

--
Help stamp out Mickey-Mouse computer interfaces -- Menus are for Restaurants!