What does seahorse do?

Erik Christiansen dvalin at internode.on.net
Thu Nov 27 11:26:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 10:41:33AM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> Having just changed my login password on my new xubuntu 8.10 system I
> have discovered that there's an application called 'seahorse' lurking
> in the background.

Seems to have been around for some time. Even on 7.10:

$ apt-cache search seahorse | grep seahorse
seahorse - A Gnome front end for GnuPG

> After changing the password seahorse pops up a window when you log in
> to X demanding that you enter a password - what it's asking for is the
> *old* password which it has stashed away somewhere itself.
>
> What isn't clear though is what seahorse is for and reading the Help
> is no 'help' at all, it just tells you how to drive the program, which
> is fine in itself but doesn't help me at all in working out what it
> does.

But GUIs are intuitive. They don't need explanation. :^)
There doesn't seem to be a {info,man}page for the version for 7.10.
That only leaves the Help, then.

The help does link to http://www.gnupg.org/, where there are:

Documentation
    * HOWTOs
    * Manuals
    * Guides
    * FAQs
    * Mailing lists
    * Sites
    * BTS

However, if it doesn't mean much to you, there's no harm in closing the
window, and pretending it never popped up.

Erik