music player software for linux

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 26 00:38:04 UTC 2008

tbroderick <tbroderick at gmail.com>  said:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 3:26 PM, brendan kehoe
> <brendanfromireland at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Douglas I want music player software that can write ratings to an
> > mp3 tag like id3 popularimeter. I dont know what encoder class is.
> > Does anybody know music player software that can write ratings to
> > an mp3 tag like id3 popularimeter?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Brendan
>
> Don't know of any Linux program, but mp3tag runs fine in wine.
>
> tb

Here's some I found:

crip:
terminal-based ripper/encoder/tagger tool
crip creates Ogg Vorbis/FLAC/MP3 files under UNIX/Linux. It is
well-suited for anyone (especially the perfectionist) who seeks to
make a lot of files from CDs and have them all properly labeled and
professional-quality with a minimum of hassle and yet still have
flexibility and full control over everything. Current versions of crip
only support Ogg Vorbis and FLAC.

This script is special because it is the only one that I know that is
capable of doing group vorbisgain/replaygain and/or normalization
(adjust the volume to be as loud as possible without
clipping/distortion) and group labelling/tagging, which makes it easy
to allow a group of tracks to be treated as one piece. It can also trim
off the silence at the beginning and end of these tracks/groups.

EasyTAG:
EasyTAG is an utility for viewing, editing and writing
the ID3 tags of different audio files, using a GTK+ interface.

Currently EasyTAG supports the following:
 - View, edit, write tags of MP3, MP2 files (ID3 tag), FLAC files (FLAC
Vorbis tag), Ogg Vorbis files (Ogg Vorbis tag), and MusePack, Monkey's
Audio files (APE tag),
 - Auto tagging: parse filename and directory to complete automatically
the fields (using masks),
 - Ability to rename files from the tag (using masks) or by loading
   a text file,
 - Process selected files of the selected directory,
 - Ability to browse subdirectories,
 - Recursion for tagging, removing, renaming, saving...,
 - Can set a field (artist, title,...) to all other selected files,
 - Read file header informations (bitrate, time, ...) and display them,
 - Undo and redo last changes,
 - Ability to process fields of tag and file name (convert letters into
   uppercase, downcase, ...),
 - Ability to open a directory or a file with an external program,
 - CDDB support (from http protocol),
 - A tree based browser,
 - A list to select files,
 - A playlist generator window,
 - A file searching window,
 - Simple and explicit interface!,
 - French, German, Russian, Dutch, Hungarian, Swedish, Italian,
Japanese, Ukrainian, Czech, Spanish, Polish and Romanian translation
language

Entagged:
Entagged is a audiofile tagger, using the freedb online database for
the retrieval of the tags. It supports custom file renaming from tags
(with any directory stucture) and vice versa. Supports: mp3, ogg,
flac, mpc, ape, wma.

exfalso:
audio tag editor for GTK+
Ex Falso displays and edits audio metadata tags. Supported formats
include MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Musepack (MPC), WavPack, and MOD/XM/IT.

Notable features include:
 * Freeform tag editing for most supported formats, including ID3v2
 * Multiple values for tag keys
 * Flexible rename-by-tags and tag-by-filename patterns
 * Extensible using simple Python-based plugins
 * Edit multiple files in several formats at once

gmusicbrowser:
jukebox for large collections of mp3/ogg/flac/mpc files
Uses gstreamer, mpg321/ogg123/flac123 or mplayer for playback. It has
easy access to related songs (same artist/album/title), supports
multiple genres per song, ratings, and customizable labels. The windows
layouts are completely cusomizable, it uses dynamic filters with
unlimited nesting of conditions, has a powerful mass-tagging dialog ...

juk:
music organizer and player for KDE
JuK (pronounced "jook") is a jukebox and music manager for the KDE
desktop similar to jukebox software on other platforms such as
iTunes or RealOne.

Some of JuK's features include:
 * Support for Ogg Vorbis and MP3 formats
 * Tag editing support for both formats, including ID3v2 for MP3 files.
   Multitagging or editing a selection of multiple files at once is also
   supported
 * Output to either the aRts, default KDE sound system, or GStreamer
 * Management of your "collection" and multiple playlists
 * Import and export to m3u playlists
 * Binary caching of audio meta-data and playlist information for faster
   load times (starting with the second time you run JuK)
 * Integration into KDE that allows drag-and-drop and clipboard usage
   with other KDE and X apps

This package is part of KDE, as a component of the KDE multimedia
module. See the 'kde' and 'kdemultimedia' packages for more information.

Kid3:
Audio tag editor
With Kid3, an audio tag editor you can:
 * Edit ID3v1.1 tags in your MP3 files
 * Edit all ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4 frames in your MP3 files
 * Convert between ID3v1.1, ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4 tags
 * Edit Ogg/Vorbis tags
 * Edit FLAC tags
 * Edit APE tags in MPC files
 * Edit tags of multiple files, e.g. the artist, album, year and genre
   of all files of an album typically have the same values and can be
   set together
 * Generate tags from filenames
 * Generate filenames from tags
 * Generate playlist files
 * Automatic case conversion and string translation
 * Import and export album data
 * Import from gnudb.org, TrackType.org, MusicBrainz, Discogs

This package does not use KDE libraries, if you use KDE you should use
kid3.

somaplayer:
player audio for the soma suite
Music player for mp3, ogg, wav, audiocd, mp3 streaming, ogg streaming
and able to use the appropriate sound drivers, demons, to stream
directly to an icecast server (icecast2 or shoutcast) or to encode in
ogg/vorbis. soma player is even a sound daemon (sds-soma daemon sound),
able to accept connections from more somaplayers at the same time, or at
any other sound player (xmms, mpg123 and others), thanks to a special
wrapper. All those sources are added and managed via driver or daemon,
streammed or encoded as above.

These are the features of somaplayer:
 * openssl
 * mad
 * id3tag,
 * vorbis,
 * cdaudio,
 * ao (output audio dsp support),
 * daemon output sds (soma daemon sound support),
 * streaming (output streaming support),
 * icecast (output icecast support),
 * icecast2 (output icecast2),
 * shoutcast (output shoutcast support),
 * ipv6.

It is very useful to build up and manage internet radio stations
and can be used in combination with the soma daemon.

tagtool:
Tool to tag and rename MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files
Audio Tag Tool is a program to manage the information fields in MP3 and
Ogg Vorbis files (commonly called tags). Tag Tool can be used to edit
tags one by one, but the most useful features are mass tag and mass
rename. These are designed to tag or rename hundreds of files at once,
in any desired format.

 Homepage: <http://pwp.netcabo.pt/paol/tagtool>

...and one to remove tags:
v2strip:
Removes ID3v2 tags from MP3 files
v2strip is a little utility that removes ID3v2 tags from MP3 files to
provide backward compatibility for applications not yet supporting
these tags.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.