vista with xubuntu+dual boot

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 25 17:31:30 UTC 2008

--- On Tue, 11/25/08, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:

> From: Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com>
> Subject: Re: vista with xubuntu+dual boot
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 10:17 AM
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- On Tue, 11/25/08, Karl Larsen
> <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:

Big Snip

> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
> >

>     That is odd. On my laptop it's Vista running on
> sda1 and the saftey
> is on sda2.

Odd but true as it only depends on how the manufacturer's tech people decide to do it. On my Gateway 5656GT desktop, menu.lst has the recovery mode partition listed first as it is on the physical disk.  After installing ubuntu for the first time and wanting to load Vista for some reason, choosing the first windows grub entry gave me the recovery option; quite irritating until I got used to it. Luckily, I didn't click the wrong button which would have lost all my personal setup and many windows updates. Retail stores wont sell a computer without windows on it except for those that have linux OS or it wouldn't have Vista on it. Vista occasionally has some use but not much.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net