problem adding s/w source [SOLVED]

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Mon Nov 24 20:00:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:

> Robert Holtzman wrote:

>>> Strange, there is something i do not understand either, because both
>>> according to my assumptions and to the site itself, it should have been:
>>>
>>> deb http://www.foory.de/thw/slrn/ hardy/
>>
>> You said "on the site itself". I'm not disputing you but I don't see
>> anything on the site that would indicate "deb" should be used. I
>> know that's the general form recommended. Could you clarify?
>
> Difficult to miss, a bit down on the page http://www.foory.de/thw/slrn/
> you will find this:

Sorry. Looked right at it and didn't see it. I hate when I do that.

> By adding the line
>
>   deb http://www.foory.de/thw/slrn/ gutsy/
> or
>   deb http://www.foory.de/thw/slrn/ hardy/
>
> to your /etc/apt/sources.list you can install the latest version via the
> synaptic package manager and will automatically be up to date with the
> latest development.

The problem was that I was trying to use the GUI to edit the
/etc/apt/sources.list. This doesn't show the "deb" prefix for the
entries. When I opened the file in a terminal it showed all entries with
the prefix. When I entered the mondo source with prefix it showed up in
the GUI. Ever since switching to Ubuntu I have gotten lazy and have been
using the GUI more. Have to get back in my old routine of using the CLI
as much as possible.

Many thanks for your help.

--
Bob Holtzman
To enjoy life take big bites. Moderation is for monks.