Virtualized web server

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Mon Nov 24 18:08:39 UTC 2008

Emil wrote:
> I do not know very much about virtualization, I've mainly used it to
> test web pages on Windows and test new operating systems on my
> workstation. But now I was thinking about using it on my quite small web
> server. I don't have very fast hardware, so it might be really stupid.
> What I like is the idea of having a minimal OS (I don't know if that
> should be linux or bsd, solaris, or whatever) on my server and then
> create a virtualbox disk image with my ubuntu web server on it. I could
> create the image on my workstation and then transfer it to my main
> server and my backup server. And if anything go bad I can just transfer
> a new copy of the image from my workstation to the server (and rsync the
> backup copy of /var/www and mysql db).
>
> Is this just a stupid idea, or will this work? I understand I will lose
> some performance. Does other do this, if not, why?

Hello Emil,

We use two forms of virtualization in our hosting operation, Xen and
OpenVZ. In your case, I'd recommend OpenVZ. It's very lightweight and
you can easily create your own virtual machine template. To do a fresh
virtual machine installation, you'd install from the template and then
restore your data from your back up. If you have more than a couple of
machines, I'd recommend you use something like cfengine
<http://cfengine.org> for configuration management.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay