apt problem after editing sources.list

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 24 17:20:10 UTC 2008

--- On Mon, 11/24/08, Oguz Yarimtepe <comp.ogz at gmail.com> wrote:
From: Oguz Yarimtepe
Hi,

I was trying to install qt4.4. I downloaded all the deb files from
Launchpad site of Intrepid by guessing it will work but after running
dpkg -i *, it didn't end the process because i was using  hardy and most
probably i needed some other deb. So i added intrepid repo to my sources
list and ran apt-get update by hoping it will fix. But i still get the
same message after running apt-get -f install:
Your not doing it right. If you want to upgrade to Intrepid from the cli use:

sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
 and modify your apt sources.list to intrepid ipo hardy.  However, that's not the recommended way. Use update manager instead. And perhaps change software sources to Intrepid.
There may have been Hardy deb files for the packages you want but I don't know that. If the package is exclusive for Intrepid, then you will have to  upgrade to Intrepid.

Leonard Chatagnier

lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net