Java plugin choices for ubuntu 8.10

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 03:59:22 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Wulfy <wulfmann at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Are you running a 64-bit version of Ubuntu?  If so, you can either have
> sun-java and no plugin for FF or IcedTea and its plugin...  Sun haven't
> made a 64-bit plugin and don't seem likely to now...

Sure am. I have reinstalled the plugin for icedtea and here is what
about:plugins tells me

GCJ Web Browser Plugin 0.96.1

    File name: libgcjwebplugin.so
    The GCJ Web Browser Plugin executes Java applets.

I retested the java test page, that works, but the java on the evolv
on demand site that I need to connect to in order to apply for a job
(take a web-based skills test) does not work here. So I will go to
them and find out why.