e-mail sending from a hotmail account via evolution

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 24 02:20:54 UTC 2008

On 11/22/2008 09:43 PM, bulut dinibutun wrote:
[snip]
> Send Server type: SMTP
>
> Server: 127.0.0.1:2500
>
> [X] Server requires authentication (checked)
>
> Use Secure Connection: No encryption
>
> Authentication Type: PLAIN
>
> Username: myusername at hotmail.com
>
> but it gave me errors, didn't recieve or send mails. so i followed
> the other option they've posted in the same thread and downloaded
> xinetd. changed my pop server to 127.0.0.1:2000 and my smtp server to
> 127.0.0.1:2000 as well  and downloaded the freepops and freepops
> updater as deb packages from the links they provided, installed
> freepops&updated. it was working pretty good till i try to send an
> e-mail. then i found out that my smtp was incorrect. after i found it
> out i tried some different variations (means i didn't directly come
> here and asked for help,I actually tried to fix it myself) i've
> checked some of the servers listed here
> http://www.freepops.org/en/smtplist.php but no luck. so i thought
> that there may be something i was missing in my own set up. this is
> all i did. thanking you and a few other people in advance even if you
> can't find a solution to my problem at least you are putting an
> effort to help. and to the person who wrote asking for help for a
> microsoft product in ubuntu users list is  an insult ( or whatever
> phrase he used), i'd like to emphasise how ridiculus this imputation
> is.Although It's only been a little over 2 months i've been using
> ubuntu now, my pc is ubuntu-booting only. I don't have a secondary
> OS. New to linux but still trying to learn as much as i can. But i've
> been using this e-mail account since over 10 years now and i can not
> change it just because i changed my OS.

Hi bulut, I'll try to see if I can figure out something later this
evening or in the morning. In the interim, can you try with Thunderbird?
Reason for asking is that Evolution can be a little tricky to configure
for some of these & Thunderbird should be much easier.

Don't worry about whether hotmail is an issue or not... If need be I'll
sign up for an account & test that way tomorrow.

G.

BTW: I wouldn't touch gmail with a 10' pole. :-)(