[Intrepid] Network Manager - Set Static/Manual IP resolv.conf overwritten

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 23 19:03:59 UTC 2008

On 11/22/2008 08:38 PM, Richard Mancusi wrote:
[snip]

> Your timing is perfect.  I am loading 8.10 on an old T41 test machine.
> here is what I did and found ...
>
> 1. Loaded connections via NetworkManager Applet 0.7.0
> 2. Entered 5 wired and 1 wireless connection
>
> Everything seemed to be working perfectly - moved between wired
> and wireless easily.
>
> 3. Rebooted and all seemed to still be o.k. - until I looked at the
>     Applet and discovered that one of my 5 wired connections had
>     disappeared.
>
> 4. Re-entered the 5th connection again AND removed the wireless
>
> 5. Rebooted and all 5 wired connections were still there.
>
> My guess ...
>
> DHCP is the default fallback for wired.  You had only one wired
> connection which was eliminated on reboot so it fell back to
> DHCP.
>
> My occurrences do not match yours exactly - but there seems to
> be a common thread.  For me, if I move my good systems to
> 8.10, looks like wireless is out.  Darn shame.
>
> good luck
> -rich

It get weirder... This morning I fired up on wireless; all seeming to
work ok until I go to print via the printer on my other machine. I
notice that it's timing out, so I try pinging the printer machine by
it's host name and find that it's screwed up as well. The printer
machine is 192.168.2.100 (name is gg2xp) and this machines fixed IP for
the wired nic is 192.168.2.102 (gg-laptop) - here is the result from the
ping:

~$ ping gg2xp
PING gg2xp (192.168.2.100) 56(84) bytes of data.
>From gg-laptop.local (192.168.2.102) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
>From gg-laptop.local (192.168.2.102) icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable

Notice that the ping initially identifies gg2xp as 192.168.2.100, but
then says that it's pinging from gg-laptop.local (huh?) but can't reach
the host. So I look at my hosts file & all looks correct (gg2xp is
properly entered as 192.168.2.100) & try pinging the IP directly only to
find that I can't even ping by IP.

So I look, and sure enough, the /etc/resolv.conf file is screwed up
again - it has the wireless router in it this time (on 192.168.1.1),
which allows me to surf the internet & ping google.com for example, but
doesn't get me to my wired lan which is on 192.168.2.xxx. So, now I
guess that I've got to go in and set/reset routes to the wired router.

This is bizarre. I'm thinking of taking Erik's advise & purge NM and
configure everything manually... and I very much agree with his
statement that helper apps shouldn't interfere with manual settings in
traditional config files.