Dual Screen Mode

Paul Kaplan pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 22 11:28:33 UTC 2008

Some thoughts...
First, this seems to be overly complicated for the current version of X, which
is able to use a minimal xorg.conf file.  Some of the options you have are
probably no longer needed and at worst may actually conflict with the new X.

Try backing up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and then replacing by

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Then I would add the virtual lines to define your virtual desktop size.

If you then do xrandr, the output will give you info on each monitor. (you
have them both defined as "Monitor-VGA-0").

Then use xrandr options (I found http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2
helpful using -monitor, -output, -LeftOf, and -RightOf) to see if you can set
things the way you want.

I believe the only things you will then need to define in xorg.conf are the
monitors and their relative positions.

I will try to post my xorg.conf file on Monday when I get back to my other
machine.
Paul