sudo

Erik Christiansen dvalin at internode.on.net
Sat Nov 22 02:34:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 03:13:21PM -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:

>     I was going bonkers on the LiveCD for Hardy.

Better there than here.

>     I had just put Windows XP on this computer and it wrote over the
>     grub setup. So I booted up and in a terminal I typed grub and it
>     came up, but didn't work right. It seemed to work but was not

When things seem to, but are not, it is time to ask why not? Is it not?
Stopping and thinking often has its rewards.

>     So I tried sudo grub and bingo, things that were not working
>     worked.

Your computer is special. It might not (any more) be able to do:

$ ls -l /boot/grub/menu.lst
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5205 2008-05-04 21:57 /boot/grub/menu.lst

Armed with this information, can you see why restoring the disturbed
grub settings _should_ be impossible for an ordinary user?

Erik
(Trying to give Derek and noOp some respite. :-)

--
Not all data is information.
Not all information is knowledge.