John's Dialup issues

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 02:16:58 UTC 2008

OK John,

I went back and looked at your posts.

I gather you are using Kubuntu, and I believe you are now trying to
use a US Robotics USB modem.
I don't have Kubuntu in front of me, so I'm going to give you
instructions using the command line - they are easier to explain
anyway.

So, can you please, without the modem plugged in, open a terminal
program by hitting Alt+F2, then type
  konsole

At the prompt, type
  sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog

It will ask you for your password, then start a scrolling display of
your system activities.
Now plug in the modem, and watch what happens.

Please cut and paste the output from when you plug in the modem into a
mail message and we'll start there.

After you are done in that terminal window, you can hit 'Control-C' to
get your prompt back, or just close the window.

Brian