Wifi connection level lower on Ubuntu than on Windows

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fri Nov 21 14:34:23 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Vincent Arnoux wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have an issue with my installed 8.10 (it was also the case in 8.04): at
>> work where I have a pretty low reception level for the Wifi connection, I
>> can connect reasonably easily when booted on Windows (even if it disconnects
>> sometimes). But when boted on Ubuntu, the wifi network is often not seen at
>> all, and even if it can find it, I won't be able to connect (failing at "get
>> an IP address" step). There is no problem with the configuration itself as
>> when I move to another room where the signal I stronger, I can connect from
>> Ubuntu.
>>
>> I am using a Panasonic CF-W5 that has an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG wifi
>> chipset. I am thinking two things:
>> 1) For some reason, the wifi board is not powerful enough due to a "laptop
>> configuration battery saving" mode on Ubuntu
>> 2) The driver I use (standard one) with Ubuntu is not good enough and I
>> should install Windows one on Ubuntu.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Vincent
>>

>     Your dealing with a tiny amount of signal it appears. The
> sensativity of your WiFi can be helped IF you can get to the antenna
> port on your laptop. Both of mine do not have this but if yours does,
> then buy a WiFi directional antenna. That will get you twice the signal
> where you work.
>
> Karl

Neither of these suggestions are useful.  My guess is the driver might
be a little buggy.  Look in dmesg and syslog for any errors related to
the wireless interface.  Keep in mind, the newer kernels have the newly
rewritten wireless code in it and card support isn't as wide as the old
code base was.  It's quickly getting there.

You don't tell us what 802.11x version you are using, presumably G, but
if it's negotiating at B then that might be an issue.  Running Airsnort,
or ethereal might help determine what packets are being sent through the
wireless interface.  That will tell you a lot about layer 3 anyway.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support