text based imap client

Aart Koelewijn aart at mtack.xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 20 19:15:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:45:15 -0600, Linda wrote:

> Right now for remote use any user connects over the phone lines using
> kermit or putty and does everything with text based utilites.  If they
> are physically on site I share the filesystems using NFS that hold all
> the open office files. I am just finishing up my testing of the imap
> mail server which they will be able to access on location with
> thunderbird and I thought about setting up a text based client like Mutt
> or Pine so they can call in and work with email. None of these services
> are available form the internet as we don't have a static IP address to
> connect to the internet and they are also behind a firewall on a private
> network.
>
> Does any one have recommendations for an easy to use text based imap
> client especially for my 20 year olds who have little exposure to text
> based programs
>                 Thanks
>                  Linda

My wife has used Pine for a long time. She is a real computer illiterate.
Because friends told her Windows was so much easier, I set up windows for
her. She hated it and wanted to switch back as soon as possible. So back
to Linux and Pine again. Because nowadays her friends often send her
pictures or Power Point presentations, I got her to use Evolution. Easier
to open those. But as a simple mail programm, I think she still would
prefer Pine.

I did use Mutt myself for a short time, but I think it has a steeper
learning curve.

Aart