So Unstable and driving me mad!!

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 20 15:52:13 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:

> Ah the joys of flakiness.  Try memtest86.  It's a good memory tester.
>
> Reseat all your hardware (video and memory are the biggest stability
> culprits).
>
> Do a fsck on the drive too, to make sure the fs isn't funky.

Thanks Mark!!

I ran memtest86 off the Ubuntu install CD and it showed errors so I
tested each memory module (I have 4x1GB modules) individually and one
was throwing up errors.. Replaced just the working pair (2GB total) and
the system feels SO much faster and things that weren't working now
appear to be working..

Will see how stable it is now for the next few days but I think that was
the problem and I am so glad I found it..

Thanks again..