Intrepid Sound Fix

Daniel T Chen crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Tue Nov 18 01:50:36 UTC 2008

On 11/17/2008 07:47 PM, Nigel Henry wrote:

>    stop)
>          ifconfig eth0 down
>   EXITSTATUS=0
>   TARGET_CARD="$2"
>   case "$TARGET_CARD" in
>     ""|all) TARGET_CARD=all ; log_action_begin_msg "Shutting down ALSA" ;;
>
> Save the changes, exit the editor, and reboot.
>
> Now when rebooted your Alsamixer settings should now be how you left them
> before rebooting. "Hopefully".
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

Unfortunately this hack only masks the deeper culprits (that appear to
be a combination of sub{vendor,device}-specific PCI latency and sound
hardware settings).  I cannot reproduce this symptom on any hardware I
have access to running hardy or intrepid, which makes it more difficult
to troubleshoot.

If any of you guys are headed to UDS-Jaunty (in Mountain View, CA) next
month, I'm happy to "sit a spell" and look at the magic.