Intrepid Sound Fix

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Mon Nov 17 16:31:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 08:49:31 -0700
Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:

KL> Karl Larsen wrote:
KL> > Steve Flynn wrote:
KL> >
KL> >> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:41 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com>
KL> >wrote: >
KL> >>
KL>     I just discovered how the Alsamixer gets re-set to no sound. I
KL> wanted to just re-boot to Grub but Intrepid stopped and would not go
KL>
KL> past the init step of turning off alsa. I watched it for a few
KL> minutes  and hit the power off.
KL>
KL>     Later I booted up and no sound. Even the sound devise on the
KL>     upper
KL> edge of the screen had a red cross. You fix this by turning the
KL> master  up and then right clicking it and turning it on. But still
KL> no sound.
KL>
KL>     I started alsamixer and sure enough it was turned down to zero.
KL>     So
KL> turned that back up.
KL>
KL>     Conclusion: There is something wrong with the re-boot script and
KL>     it
KL> needs to be fixed or, there is something wrong with the alsamixer
KL> software.

This sounds suspiciously similar to a problem I had with envy24control
in Hardy and several releases before (see bug 219791). In essence Ubuntu
has moved alsactl from its default location and envy24control had not
been modified to account for this. I'm not sure how you would check in
your case though.

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |