ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 51, Issue 232

Chris Jeffries chris at candm.org.uk
Mon Nov 17 07:44:04 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
        > Ray Parrish wrote:
        >

        >> Wow! That's way over blown for what I need. I just need
        something that
        >> pings the servers every few minutes, and pops up a notice if
        either of
        >> them is down. A web search found lots of Windows packages
        that do
        >> this, but no Linux based solutions. I even tried one of the
        Windows
        >> apps with Wine, but it wouldn't run.
        >>

        > Please don't top post.  How can we have a conversation.
        >
        > You won't find a Linux packaged solution to just do that
        because it's as
        > simple as running a script that uses "wget" to get anything
        from the
        > site (outputting it to /dev/null) and echos a message if wget
        fails,
        > being careful to create no output at all when the wget
        succeeds.  Stick
        > the script in cron, and you'll get an email every time it
        fails.

        Sorry about the top posting, it's the default in my email client
        and on
        most lists I belong to they don't complain. I myself have a plug
        in that
        collapses all quoted material in an email to one line boxes that
        can be
        opened to full size if I can't remember what was said
        previously. [love
        that add in! get Quote Collapse and Quote Colors for
        Thunderbird,
        they're great]

        So much for off topic... Thanks for the tip on wget, I'll be
        man page to study it here in a minute. I've done some bash
        scripting
        [spam] when I wrote the System Report script for Ubuntu which
        is
        available on my web site.[end of spam] 8-) So, I'm hoping I can
        figure
        it out once again to do this.

        Later, Ray Parrish

        I am not a scripter, or a Unix expert, but would

        ping -i600 <address> ; prog-to-popup-message (eg gedit
        panic.txt)

        ping every ten minutes and keeps going until it fails to ping?
        When that happens, ping ends and the next program runs - firing
        off a message.