Intrepid screen resolution messed up

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 16 22:45:35 UTC 2008

--- On Sun, 11/16/08, Samuel Rohde <samuelrohde at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Samuel Rohde <samuelrohde at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Intrepid screen resolution messed up
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 2:01 PM
> I tried xfix and I'm still having the same problem.
> I'm not sure what you mean by
> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-intel/README.gz, what am I
> supposed to do with that? I put it in the terminal and it
> said bash:
> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-intel/README.gz:
> Permission denied

Pleassssse do not top post; it makes it difficult to follow the thread.  You must be new to the list if you haven't heard this before.
Sorry xfix didn't work for you.  Was there any output at all from running it; any messages at all?
You must be new to linux in  general not knowing what to do with the README.gz file.-:)
It's just a compressed readme file that can be read from a terminal using less or zless. For example:

$ less /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-intel/README.gz  (All one line)

Also you did look to see that you have that file on intrepid?
You shouldn't need to use zless either as less has that feature built into it now. Neither should you have to use sudo for root priviledges. I didn't.  But if less doesn't work, try zless and try preceeding each with sudo if still no luck. the password the command asks for is your username.  HTH. I think you will find something useful in the readme doc that may solve your problem.  Let us know what happens either way. After you implemented any suggestion from the readme you should log out and log back in or better still, to be on the safe side, reboot. If still no success, reboot into recovery mode and try xfix again as the changes you made may allow it to correct any remaining issues.
Remember to report back on the result giving any error output from what you did. that's always helpful to the experts. Good luck and hope you solve the problem.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net

resolution messed up