Can't get laptop into more than 800x600?

Knute Johnson knute2008 at
Sun Nov 16 07:06:56 UTC 2008

Kim Briggs wrote:
> On 11/14/08, Knute Johnson <knute2008 at> wrote:
>> I installed Ubuntu on my older laptop but the only options for screen
>>  resolution are 800x600 and 640x480.  I ran 1024x768 with XP and Fedora.
>>   Any ideas how to get there?
>>  Thanks,
>>  --
>>  Knute Johnson
>>  knute2008 at
> Knute,
> It is really worth it to research your laptop make and model and find
> out what video card is used.  You may be able to install additional
> drivers.
> Ubuntu can do an initial check through System - Administration -
> Hardware Drivers
> As long as you make a backup to the xorg.conf file, you can try to
> reconfigure the package:
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
> and follow the instructions.  If you boot up to blackness, you can
> press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a terminal, where you can use the cp or mv
> command to replace the existing xorg.conf file with the backup.  Make
> sure you are comfortable with doing this before starting.
> cheers,

I tried that but it just hung.  Had to power down to restart the
computer.  I did solve it though with Owen's idea of adding Horizsync
and Vertrefresh lines to the xorg.conf file.

Knute Johnson
knute2008 at