Can't get laptop into more than 800x600?

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 00:52:37 UTC 2008

2008/11/15 Knute Johnson <knute2008 at www.knutejohnson.com>:
> I installed Ubuntu on my older laptop but the only options for screen
> resolution are 800x600 and 640x480.  I ran 1024x768 with XP and Fedora.
>  Any ideas how to get there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>
> Knute Johnson
> knute2008 at www.knutejohnson.com

Hey,

I have had this same problem with my laptop.  Reading through
/var/log/Xorg.0.log you'll probably find that the 1024x768 LCD is
found but that the hsync and vsync are not correctly detected.
Try looking for specs for your particular laptop and adding them to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, or you can try adding the same as mine:

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
	Horizsync		31.5-48.0
	Vertrefresh	56.0-65.0