Intrepid Sound Problems

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Sat Nov 15 19:01:59 UTC 2008

David Fox:

> And I have it set up per the instructions on medibuntu. Turns out it's
> not a package that is installable on 64 bit hardware which is what I
> have.

Of course w32codecs is installable on 64-bit hardware - provided you're
running a 32-bit OS on this hardware.

> My bad, I thought I had both installed because I have ia32-libs
> installed for 32 bit compatibility.

Installing ia32-libs won't change the fact that you're running a 64-bit
system. But Ubuntu's stock 64-bit kernel is capable of running 32-bit
applications - which, in turn, may need 32-bit shared libs. ia32-libs
provides the most commonly needed ones.

But the important point is: if you need the codecs on 64-bit Ubuntu,
install the w64codecs package from medibuntu.

Regards
  mks