Boot sequence

Paige Thompson erratic at devel.ws
Wed Nov 12 22:36:43 UTC 2008

For future reference, if you like to have various linux operating systems on
the same harddrive its easier to manage if you use lvm. I accomplished this
with ubuntu desktop by booting a ubuntu thumb drive, apt-get installing lvm2
then insmod something (forget what) from /lib/modules/linux/drivers/md/ then
vgchange -a y to detect volume groups, then installing to the logical volume
that I wanted to install to using the ubuntu installer (manually selected
the partition to install to) then after it was installed chrooted into the
new install and apt get installed lvm2 (installing this package
automatically updates your initramfs too.) Oh and by the way before I
installed ubuntu to the logical volume I had to resize other volumes to make
free space, be sure to resize the filesystem before resizing the logical
volume, and I backed up my grub.conf and merged the changes with the
grub.conf that ubuntu installed (my two linux installs use the same boot
partition because the boot partition should be an actual physical
partition-- I don't think grub supports lvm.)

Here's my part layout
/dev/hda1 boot
/dev/hda2 linux lvm
/dev/system/root gentoo root
/dev/system/ubuntu ubuntu /

Since you use windows you'd want to make /boot hda2

It really is a shame that ubuntu desktop doesn't support lvm :( this wasn't
exactly difficult for me but god what a pain.