How do I change the default viewer from document viewer to the what I want?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 10 18:09:09 UTC 2008

On 11/10/2008 12:44 AM, Philip Wyett wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 08:13 +0000, Philip Wyett wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 02:37 -0500, Mark wrote:
>> > Hi everyone:
>> >
>> > I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop and have been
>> > trying to find a way that when I use evolution that when I click the
>> > drop down arrow to open the pdf that the default application it will
>> > show will be the one I want and not document viewer. Thanks.
>> >
>> > Mark
>>
>> I answered a variant of this question you posted yesterday.
>>
>> See:
>>
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-November/165171.html
>>
>> Please could you keep to threads you create and not just keep posting
>> new messages as this waists peoples time.
>>
>> 'evolution' which is an email, calendar, planner (PIM) client should
>> respect and list any additional readers if they are installed when
>> trying to view an attachment on an email, if this is what you are trying
>> to do?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Phil
>
> I'll answer my own query. Installing Adobes pdf reader does not create
> the necessary associations within gnome to set the app as default and it
> must be done manually. Even ten it does not add facilities to open an
> email attachment of the type pdf from within evolution.
>
> This needs some investigation.
>
> Regards
>
> Phil

Perhaps you need to log out & then back in - or restart Evolution? I
show the following 'Open in' options in the dropdown for a PDF in
Evolution 2.22.3.1 on my 8.04.1 Hardy system:

Adobe Reader 8
Document Viewer
pdfedit
GIMP Image Editor
KGhostView
xPDF
KPDF

Note: I have kubuntu programs installed in addition to my Gnome
programs, hence the KPDF etc.