How do I change the default viewer from document viewer to the what I want?

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Mon Nov 10 08:44:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 08:13 +0000, Philip Wyett wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 02:37 -0500, Mark wrote:
> > Hi everyone:
> >
> > I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop and have been
> > trying to find a way that when I use evolution that when I click the
> > drop down arrow to open the pdf that the default application it will
> > show will be the one I want and not document viewer. Thanks.
> >
> > Mark
>
> I answered a variant of this question you posted yesterday.
>
> See:
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-November/165171.html
>
> Please could you keep to threads you create and not just keep posting
> new messages as this waists peoples time.
>
> 'evolution' which is an email, calendar, planner (PIM) client should
> respect and list any additional readers if they are installed when
> trying to view an attachment on an email, if this is what you are trying
> to do?
>
> Regards
>
> Phil

I'll answer my own query. Installing Adobes pdf reader does not create
the necessary associations within gnome to set the app as default and it
must be done manually. Even ten it does not add facilities to open an
email attachment of the type pdf from within evolution.

This needs some investigation.

Regards

Phil