Help! HD partitioning & installation of U

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Nov 8 06:22:56 UTC 2008

ppp IT wrote:
> I have a windows based laptop, just downloaded last version of ubuntu
> (so far have been using off of the CD) and want to install it in a
> small partition on hard drive.
>
> Could some kind soul help me out in what I need to do so that the
> current files and applications on the hard drive I have are not written
> over or lost?

Make backups of the files you don't want to lose. That doesn't prevent
overwriting of files but if something goes wrong, you can still restore
your files. I really don't trust the capabilities of gparted to resize
the Windows partition because I had two machines (out of 5?) where
resizing failed and the remaining Windows partition was unusable.

If you want to be on the safe side and prevent overwriting of files,
install Ubuntu within Windows. You can do it by simply inserting the
Ubuntu LiveCD while Windows is running. That installation makes a file
for the Ubuntu system on the Windows partition.

Nils