Scheduled audio recording software

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 04:19:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 3:27 AM, Erik Christiansen
<dvalin at internode.on.net> wrote:

> In the absence of a fully gui-fied canned solution thus far, maybe the
> following thoughts on a possible work-around will spark off a solution
> which is less delightfully DIY.

None is really needed, just use cron and mplayer -dumpstream to record
the desired stream, edit after the recording is done using audacity. I
used to record Schickele mix from a station in Tennessee when it was
broadcasting the show. I had it automatically go off at 5pm every
Sunday night.

All you really need is a shell script that you invoke with cron.

#!/bin/sh
# record wpln into a stream.dump file for 1 hr

cd /tmp && mplayer -dumpstream http://main.str3am.com/wplnfmwm -cache 128 &
sleep 3600
mv /tmp/stream.dump /tmp/stream`date +%m%d`
killall mplayer