Problem: Thinkpad T23 recently started pseudo hibernating when previously it worked before...

John Toliver john.toliver at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 14:17:32 UTC 2008

I have recently started having problems with hibernation.  This is problem
doesn't occur each time I hibernate my machine but it has been happening
more frequently.  I will select the off button and the screen to select what
you wish to do comes up.  I select Hibernate and then the screen blanks and
the machine appears to be going into hibernation.  What has happened is
after about 30 seconds, or however long it takes to move 1GB of ram onto the
HDD, it will then popup the password box asking you to enter your
credentials before restoring the desktop.

If you can imagine a successful hibernation and poweroff, and then pressing
the powerbutton again and having the machine reboot and go to the "enter
password to wakeup" screen.  Now imagine the whole boot process being
skipped and it goes 1. click hibernate 2. screen blanks 3. lots of HDD
activity 4. enter password to wakeup"

This is really bad because unless you are expecting to fight with this, you
can be rushing, and expect that it will turn itself off and shove it in your
bag and go.  After 30-45 minutes of driving you arrive at your destination
with a warm brief case and almost dead battery.

My System specs are:
Thinkpad T23
1.13Ghz PIII
1GB Ram
40GB HDD
Hardy 2.6.24-19-generic
--
I've discovered the key to success is to never give up.  You either learn
the right way, or you run out of ways to do it wrong.  A win/win situation!