strange sound problem in Hardy

Jim Smith jim at oz.net
Fri Nov 7 01:47:12 UTC 2008

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> hi everybody,
> I have 2 sound cards: integrated Intel and Soundblaster Live
> Since 2 weeks, I have a very strange behaviour of the Soundblaster Live
>
>     - after each reboot, the sound is perfectly normal.
>     - after 1 or 2 hours, it becomes crazy: when I play a short sound (1 second),
>       with aplay, it is echoed about 20 times, and I get :
>
>          Playing WAVE '/sound/wav/woow.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 11025 Hz, Mono
>          aplay: pcm_write:1266: write error: Input/output error
>
>       with mplayer, it is  echoed 8 times
>       with play(sox), it is  echoed indefinitely, and I must issue a "kill -9"
>       idem with totem, gxine, kaffeine
>       with vlc (ALSA audio output), the sound is normal!
>
>       With a longer sound, the 10 first seconds are normal, and then it
>       becomes garbled (with all players)
>
>     - if I use the Intel card, the sound is OK in all cases.
>
> I'm ready to install Intrepid, but before, I would like to elucidate
> this mystery.
>
> NB: I saw some bug reports about the pcm_write error message, but what
>       puzzles me is that I only get it a variable time after reboot!
>
> cheers,

FWIW All of the instructions for building PCs that I have or have seen
mention going into the BIOS and disabling the on-board audio if you wish
to use a sound card. My desktop has a Soundblaster Live sound card
running under Intrepid with no problem.

YMMV

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............