ip address on lan getting hijacked

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri May 30 21:49:38 UTC 2008

chris dunn wrote:

> My home lan is set up based upon a Linksys wireless access point and
> router which has an address of 192.168.1.1. My main work station is set
> with a static ip address of 192.168.1.2, (in /etc/network/interfaces) and
> I use other work stations to access this machine via nxclient and nxserver
> (running on 192.168.1.2).
>
> All works well until 9.30 a.m. every morning when 192.168.1.2 is taken
> down and reset to 192.168.1.100, apparently by dhclient accessing the dhcp
> server running on the wap. Any nxclient connections crash as the nxserver
> ip address has changed.
> All I can deduce from this is that dhclient and avahi, apparently working
> together, are combining to ruin my local network experience, and to reset
> the ip address. Understood that I don't need to run dhclient since I'm
> using static addresses, but I'm not sure how to turn it off.

Well, "aptitude purge dhclient" should do it, but wouldn't the simplest
solution be to tell the router to always assign your MAC address
192.168.1.2?  (I know you can do that with a Linksys)

> What really puzzles me though is why this happens at 9.30 a.m. every day,
> and not at any other time, and how avahi gets involved in the process.

Check either Cron or /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.*leases for the time.  As for
avahi, it's magic, and not White magic, either.  I hate it, but I've never
been able to figure out what, if any, parts of it I really need.
--
derek