ip address on lan getting hijacked

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri May 30 22:11:05 UTC 2008

chris dunn wrote:
> My home lan is set up based upon a Linksys wireless access point and router
> which has an address of 192.168.1.1.
    OK the router has a old standard 192.168.1.x ip.

>  My main work station is set with a
> static ip address of 192.168.1.2, (in /etc/network/interfaces) and I use
> other work stations to access this machine via nxclient and nxserver (running
> on 192.168.1.2).

    In other words you set the work station with a static ip of
192.168.1.2 and it works. From a router I always use DHCP so the router
just gives me the next ip/
> All works well until 9.30 a.m. every morning when 192.168.1.2 is taken down
> and reset to 192.168.1.100, apparently by dhclient accessing the dhcp server
> running on the wap.
    Your wireless part of the router is causing the problem.

>  Any nxclient connections crash as the nxserver ip address
> has changed.
>
> Syslog provides the following messages :
>
> May 30 09:30:04 bessie dhclient: DHCPREQUEST of <null address>
> Tia.

    To fix this put your work station not on static but DHCP and relax.
It will change but who cares?

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI