Can't get dual screen to work

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon May 26 14:28:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 04:03:20PM +0200, pieter557 wrote:
> I have added the subsection into the xorg.conf file.
> But I still can't put them next to each other. I can choose the
> 1680x1050resolution on my external display now. Anything lower and it
> doesn't seem to work.
> Now they're just cloned with the second at 1680x1050 and the laptop display
> at 1280x800 on which i can only see a part of the screen.
> ( It's the same with the second at 1280x1024 )

If you want to have the screens side by side, you need

   Virtual 2960 1050

in your xorg.conf.  Or if you want to have one screen above the other,
you'll need

   Virtual 1680 1850

To have both options, use

   Virtual 2960 1850

instead.  You might waste some video memory that way, but it shouldn't
matter too much.

In any case, with two screens this size you desktop crosses the
2048-pixel limit and you won't be able to use 3D effects normally, like
I said in my previous email.

Personally, I have the same kind of laptop (1280x800, Intel GM965,
although mine is a Thinkpad T61), and I use it with an external
1280x1024 monitor, with the desktops side by side.

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
(mental note: stop installing red hat. everytime i do so, it takes ages to fix
my system again.)