Dell Latitude display problem

Jeffrey Tooker Jeffreytooker at frontiernet.net
Mon May 26 06:57:06 UTC 2008

Sørli Karstein wrote:
> Have a problem with my 7 year old Dell Latitude's display after
> installing Ubuntu (8.04). It splits the screen (two versions of the
> desktop screen). Display driver problem may be? Have anyone had the
> same problem and solved it?
>
> PS: The Ubuntu install window in the beginning shows up ok.
>
> Karstein
Karstein:

Your Dell monitor is about the same age as mine.  Dell E772C.  Check for
graphics card info.  Hardy beta listed as as having problems with i845
graphics card, which is standard Dell board for my E772C.  Check out
this link.  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/i915Driver  I am new at
this and may be wrong.  However I went through a similar problem today.
I corrected it with the good help from this list.  Mine was running a
generic driver.  I used GUI Xserver Xorg to change driver to i815 and
back up.  I will hunt down i915 driver soon.

Hope this helps.

Jeffrey Tooker