Mount USB HDD to a certain /media/folder after boot

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Mon May 26 03:27:02 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 19:08 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

>     I have 3 USB external hard drives. One is rotory the other 2 are USB
> memory sticks. All three have been treated by fdisk to give me the
> wanted partitions. I always umount the thing before using fdisk and mkfs
> to do what I want.
>
>     You can do all this with care and never have a problem. And when you
> make an error you know it and can fix it easy and fast.
> Karl

Hi Karl
My point in this case is not the amount one owns !

Everybody of us owns these and some to have and
manage much much more what you mentioned !! ;-)

All my media are (if possible) given a human readable unique ID !!! ;-D

WSxxx = Workstation xxx, where xxx is a number
WU0064red, WU0256red, WU8000red = USB Stick with red stickers and the
capacity in MB
There are more WUxxxxyyy's with xxxx = capacity im MB again and yyy =
sticker's color

Everything starting with W... belongs to a specific system, ie
red = my system
yel = her system
blu = our system

Another group are system independent LanDrives (TCP/IP resp USB):
LD14x = LanDrive 142 or 14x for more / others !

In the bespoken LanDrive unit the nomenclature goes deeper similarly:

LD142 = unit
LD142ext3 / LD142fat / LD142fat32 / LF142hpfs / LF142ntfs = respective
needed partitions
Within these partitions are directories / folders i.e.

WS221 for our (file server / shared storage) system
WS222 for my system
WS224 for her system

I am used to such a very properly designed and structured concept since
the seventies
where we had to manage thousands of tapes and many dozens of exchangable
HDD's ! ;-)

May be I am handling this too excessive for my little personal use of
IT !?
Sure, too excessive for a retired fellow !!! ;-))

On the other hand my ole brain still recognizes everything I am creating
and dealing easiest
without big plans and notes. ;-D

Hope this was of interest and not too longwinded !? ;-|

Cheers, svobi