Mount USB HDD to a certain /media/folder after boot

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon May 26 01:08:05 UTC 2008

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 20:13 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:

>>> ... I am not alone with this problem: There must be something as we say:
>>> Where smoke is ...
>>> ... there mus be fire too !? ;-)
>>>
>>> 1) Some of us are experts and everything gets automatic and smooth ;-)
>>> 2) Some of us are greenhorns and newbies and things do not get automatic
>>> and smooth ;-(
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I am among the 2nd ! ;-|
>>>
>> You missed "(3) some of us think we know what we're doing, so we mess with
>> fstab".  The thing is, newbies usually get proper handling of external
>> drives, because they don't know enough to mess with fstab.  Externals
>> should _not_ be in fstab, unless you really know what you're doing, because
>> we don't automount anything in fstab except at boot time.
>> --
>> derek
>>

> Hi Derek
> Thanks for your feedback and your pointer:
> If understood correctly I do not need to have these external partition
> listed in fstab !
>
> I will try this. ;-)
> Cheers, svobi

    I have 3 USB external hard drives. One is rotory the other 2 are USB
memory sticks. All three have been treated by fdisk to give me the
wanted partitions. I always umount the thing before using fdisk and mkfs
to do what I want.

    You can do all this with care and never have a problem. And when you
make an error you know it and can fix it easy and fast.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User