Winows emulator

Clayton smaug42 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 11:38:21 UTC 2008

>> I wish to install a "Windows" emulator in order to run some software
>> written for that OS.
>> Can anyone suggest the best to try?
>>

> Wine? $ sudo apt-get install wine or, even better, get the last .deb
> from the website http://www.winhq.org (i think it is 1.0 RC 1)

Another option that many people use is VirtualBox..  VirtualBox allows
you to install Windows (or almost any other operating system) into a
Virtual Machine (VM), and then you can install your Windows-only
applications into the VM.

The advantage is that you have a full Windows environment without the
possible issues that Wine can have.  The disadvantage is that you need
to have a decent amount of RAM and available disk space to run the VM
- at least 1GB or RAM, preferably more, and at least enough disk space
for a full Windows install plus the application install (VirtualBox
defaults to 8GB of virtual disk space).

http://www.virtualbox.org

I use both WINE and VirtualBox - in some cases Wine works fine (for
example I can easily run PhotoShopCS2 in WINE), and in others
VirtualBox is the best solution.

C.