Point me at some Ubuntu documentation?

Thu May 22 08:24:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008 01:54:29 -0500
"Paul Johnson" <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. How to build a deb file?  I'm familiar with building RPMS on
> Redhat/Fedora, but need basic information on how Debian builds are
> configured and managed.   If there is such a guide for people that are
> already familiar with "rpmbuild", so much the better.

Is there anything particularly wrong with the hundreds Google returns?

> 3. I find it hard to understand the Ubuntu packaging of disks.  I use
> some Gnome programs, some KDE, some XFCE.  My favorite window manager
> is WindowMaker.   Is there one Ubuntu disk that has "Everything"?

It's a bit silly IMO, too, pretending different WM = different distro.

All the window managers are available for all the *buntus - you're not
restricted to 'kubuntu-only' packages in Ubuntu, for example.
There are the xubuntu-desktop kubuntu-desktop and ubuntu-desktop
packages for installing whole desktops, too.

> Oh, and I just realized, the X server started up without ever asking
> me any configuration questions.  It is running the nv driver on this
> dell laptop, at 1680x1050.  No 3d, too bad.  I thought I heard that
> Ubuntu had reached a peace with the Nvidia company and you were
> shipping their Nvidia driver? Not so?

There is a restricted driver tool, which I've not used for ages but am
assured still exists. As I recall, it's in the system tray by default
in Gnome.

--
Avi Greenbury