Debian or Ubuntu?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue May 20 18:54:43 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 10:42 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Exactly - I still had to manually fix my config files...  Perhaps the
>> update manager managed to fix some of them, but I don't see how it could
>> _possibly_ handle all my config changes.
>
> Sure, but people who change config files extensively can and should be
> expected to manage them through an upgrade.

Agreed.

> My point was that unskilled users would be completely unable to perform
> a Debian upgrade, but should be able to upgrade Ubuntu (at least that's
> the expectation Ubuntu has to cater for).

I would agree to the extent that the Ubuntu upgrade is _simpler_. I don't
think that either the former or latter cases are cast in stone.  If an
unskilled user installed Debian and didn't change much before the next
release (OK, given Debian's release cycle that's a little unlikely!) he'd
likely imo be able to upgrade to the next release with apt-get.  otoh, if
someone installs Ubuntu and customizes as much as I do, he is still going
to have some manual steps when it actually comes time to upgrade - though
I'll concede it should be simpler than with Debian.

--
derek