Debian or Ubuntu?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue May 20 17:21:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 10:42 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Exactly - I still had to manually fix my config files...  Perhaps the update
> manager managed to fix some of them, but I don't see how it could
> _possibly_ handle all my config changes.

Sure, but people who change config files extensively can and should be
expected to manage them through an upgrade.

My point was that unskilled users would be completely unable to perform
a Debian upgrade, but should be able to upgrade Ubuntu (at least that's
the expectation Ubuntu has to cater for).

From what I've read, u-m suppresses the config file prompts as much as
possible. This should do for those users who have the most problems with
these things. E.g., recently I upgraded 2 machines of friends of mine
from Dapper, who had done the basic stuff with their machines: web,
music, video, office apps, and similar things. I didn't see a single
config file prompt during these updates.