[OT] Debian mailinglists

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue May 20 18:37:44 UTC 2008

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> Not everybody actually has the resources to _hire_ a sensible sysadmin -
>> even as woefully underpaid as they usually are.  In a huge number of
>> installations, the sysadmin is someone who has a basic technical
>> knowledge, at best, and administers the system in addition to his regular
>> job.
>
> Are you saying that system administrators that work their butts off to
> learn their profession should influence programmers to coddle those that
> hire incompetent administrators because the business trying to "dabble"
> in technology treats their technology infrastructure as a hobby and not
> a resource that's important to their business needs?  Just clarifying.

Er, no, I don't think I was...  I'm really saying that there are a whole lot
of companies that won't pay for good administrators, and so they'll either
have misconfigured systems or they'll stick with Windows, and most likely
both.  As to whether anyone would actually "coddle" those companies, that's
a matter of self-interest.  If it's worth it to the developers, they
will...
--
derek