[OT] Debian mailinglists [was: RE: Debian or Ubuntu?]

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue May 20 17:37:29 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 13:08 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> But as someone who has brought down major
>> banking systems by making the wrong config change
>
> I guess you wouldn't want to tell me the name of the bank so I can avoid
> them? If they are making live changes on important systems without
> testing them in a test rig first, I don't trust them with my money,
> either.

A) just because a system is tested in a test rig or test net first
doesn't mean the rollout portion will go 100% slick as eelsnot. The
important issues are testing if the upgrade or alteration SHOULD work
and having proper *contingency plans* in place if something goes wrong
during the upgrade to the live system.

B) I strongly suspect if we "laymen" knew %90 of what happens behind the
scenes outside our domain of knowledge we'd all start in with the "I
wouldn't trust that <bank | hospital | restaurant | school | agency |
etc.> either" blanket statements. Until someone finds the magic employer
where bosses are gummi bears and servers eject pizzas and are powered by
magical flutes that keep the IT insfrastructure from never failing, I'm
going to refrain from such statements, personally.